A COMPLETE THERMAL MANAGEMENT SOLUTION
PowerTHERM® is coupled with PowerFLOW to provide a complete, extensively validated digital thermal management solution. Renderings in PowerTHERM have the ability to predict surface temperatures and heat fluxes generated by heat radiation, conduction and convection. The combination of PowerFLOW with PowerTHERM enables engineers to accurately predict temperatures and visualize the flow and temperature fields for the entire vehicle. Engineers can then identify problem areas and provide recommendations to improve the design. Rapid turnaround time for simulation and model creation allows engineers to quickly make design changes to the baseline and evaluate the improvements in thermal performance. PowerFLOW's unique, inherently transient Lattice Boltzmann-based physics allows thermal simulations to accurately predict real world transient airflow conditions on the most complex geometry.
Add on capabilities are available with PowerCOOL to model heat exchangers such as automotive radiators and charge air coolers and used in instances such as cooling the underhood. When coupled with PowerFLOW simulation, engineers can predict the calculated heat exchange between the air flow and the heat exchanger. The result is provided as the temperature of the coolant at the inlet of the heat exchanger (top tank temperature) or the heat rejection. Other results include distribution of air parameters like velocity, temperature, and density on the surface of the heat exchanger as well as coolant temperature distribution within the heat exchanger. These results provide essential information needed for positioning heat exchangers, understanding operation and optimizing overall underhood design of a vehicle.
Brake Cooling Simulation
Battery Thermal Management
Thermal Engine Protection
- Multi-bounce radiation.
- Shell and solid conduction models.
- Convection via coupling with PowerFLOW.
- 1-d advection and fluid stream models for modeling coupled internal flows (Eg: Exhaust system).
- Temperature-dependent properties including conduction, specific heat and emissivity.
- Handles multi-layer parts: Solid, air, vacuum or mixed.
- Efficient and robust numerical scheme with adaptive solution algorithms.
- Steady-state or transient.
- Few seconds to hours.
- Rapid, easy-to-use thermal model creation and case setup.
- Seamless, integrated coupling with PowerFLOW fluid simulation or can run as a stand alone application.
- Results analyzed in PowerVIZ®, a powerful simulation results visualization & analysis environment – a single environment for analyzing flow results.
- Optional parallel processing for reduced simulation time.
- Optional module for coupled thermal-electrical analysis of a battery cell or pack.
- Supports both charging and discharging states.
- Captures realistic time-varying loads and charges.
- Solar loading – direct, diffuse and reflected.
- Wind loading.
- Optional module for advanced human thermal comfort within complex environments.
- Place virtual test consisting of dummies with layers of clothes into virtual operating environment to compute comfort indexes.
- Full radiant, convective and conductive heat transfer.
- Computes localized thermoregulatory response such as perspiration, respiration and blood flow changes.
- Steady-state or transient localized thermal sensation and comfort analysis.
- Geometry optimization is available for underhood radiators (I- and U-type) and charge air coolers.
- Heat transfer between the internal and external flow is measured based on temperature difference in inlet coolant temperature or heat rejection.
- Air flow is calculated by PowerFLOW, Coolant Flow is calculated by PowerCOOL and all capabilities are integrated in PowerCASE.
Using core CFD technology behind our simulation software, PowerTHERM has been validated to help solve many thermal management problems, including:
- Underbody and engine compartment thermal protection.
- Brake cooling.
- Electronics and battery cooling.
- HVAC system performance.
- Cabin comfort.
- Defrost and demist.
- Heat exchanger cooling (PowerCOOL).