What's new in PowerFLOW
Computational Fluid Dynamics Simulation Software
SIMULIA PowerFLOW 2021 Refresh 4 Release
PowerFLOW 2021 Refresh 4 includes the following features and enhancements:
- Turbulence Solver Super Cycling boosts performance by updating turbulence only once every N time steps, where N is the super cycling factor. Industrial tests show that a supercycling factor of 2 typically reduces simulation time by about 7%, and a supercycling factor of 10 reduces simulation time by about 15%.
- PowerTHERM 2021.2 includes an advanced graphics mode to speed up rendering of results on large models. New Physiology part type replaces the text file based physiogen utility, thus streamlining human thermal model setup. Human thermal comfort calculations can now include the effect of skin wettedness, as well as generate comfort results at the individual part level, e.g. heated seats.
- PowerACOUSTICS now supports time varying noise transmission for all panel types, as well as the ability to create time varying spectrogram graphs for interior wind noise as a function of time.
- PowerDELTA introduces new capabilities to streamline connectivity to 3DEXPERIENCE and automate geometry preparation:
- Open geometry from 3DEXPERIENCE opens 6W tag values that have been assigned to parts (via the Product Structure Editor App, for example).
- Operations Templates support the logical operators AND, OR, and ! (for NOT). This enhancement provides additional flexibility to setup geometry input for model build automation.
- Mesh Diagnostics detects curved facets within specified minimum and maximum radius values, enabling automated creation of construct VR regions required for refinement zones.
- Mesh Offset operations include a new option, “Copy and Connect”, that automatically connects the copied geometry to the existing geometry, enabling the addition of thickness or layers to an existing geometry.
Finally, please note that PowerFLOW supports DSLS licensing on all servers, including on-premise DSLS installations.
SIMULIA PowerFLOW 2021 contains the following major enhancements and new features:
- The Lattice Boltzmann Total Energy Solver for high subsonic, transonic and hybrid subsonic-transonic flows, with additional solver enhancements, enables high fidelity aerodynamics and aerothermal design for aircraft aerodynamics and aircraft propulsion.
- The prediction capability for Rime Ice Accretion on Aircraft enables the efficient computation of rime ice accumulation on aircraft wings and consequent degradation of aircraft aerodynamic performance.
- Gap-based Grid Resolution is useful to specify grid resolution in thin 3-D gaps found in complex thermal assemblies, allowing reduced resolution elsewhere, significantly decreasing computational cost and turnaround time for cooling airflow and thermal management workflows
- The Cooling Air Leakage Model (CALM) model enables accurate computation of the cooling air flow rate through the cooling package into an engine bay, especially at low resolution when the gaps in the cooling package are not well resolved
- Support for DSLS licensing enables common licensing for all SIMULIA applications on a single license server. The PowerFLOW simulator now supports Universal Tokens and Credits, which will soon be supported by all SIMULIA solvers, thus enabling a common pool of compute licenses. Additionally, the number of universal tokens or credits consumed is no longer scales linearly with the number of cores, to encourage running PowerFLOW simulations on large core counts.
- PowerDELTA introduces a number of enhancements and new features to automate PowerFLOW and PowerTHERM mesh preparation. Advanced Common Model Build process is now available to speed up a full vehicle model preparation to one day. New Automated Gap Detection capability at mesh level, along with scripting capabilities for mesh cleanup are key components to achieve the one day Model Build. New Thermal templates, along with an automated thermal links creation, have significantly reduced PowerTHERM meshes preparation. Finally, additional usability enhancements have been introduced. Operations on large meshes are at least 4 times faster than the previous version.
- PowerINSIGHT Run Templates now support Project Node Tags, such as model year, vehicle design program, trim level and performance targets. Thes tags can be applied to runs or folders of runs in a project, and enable classification and identification for large numbers of runs. In addition, run template parameters can be made visible in the run node editor.
- PowerTHERM Weather files with Date and Time are now fully supported for coupled PowerFLOW-PowerTHERM simulations, for thermal soak and cabin comfort workflows. A new time widget in PowerCASE can be used to select the absolute start time of the PowerTHERM calculation.
- PowerEXPORT can now map transient pressure loads directly onto ABAQUS meshes
Please note that the PowerFLOW 2021 release no longer includes a Physics 5 version. PowerFLOW 2020-Refresh 5, which was released on March 12 2021 and includes physics 5 and 6 versions, supports DSLS licensing and use of Universal Compute Tokens and Credits.