SIMULIA Community News
March 2016: Exploring the Power of Optimization
The Powerful 2016 Product Portfolio is Here and Available Now!
We’ve just made your life a little bit easier: for the first time, all versions of SIMULIA Portfolio products and other releases will now follow a year-based naming convention. No decimal points to keep track of any more: Abaqus 6.14, for example, has been updated to “Abaqus 2016.” Similarly, you will see Tosca 2016, fe-safe 2016, Isight/SEE 2016, and so forth.
And this is only the beginning: The 2016 Power of the Portfolio release delivers our strongest product portfolio ever, one that provides even tighter integration, and greater value, to all our users.
You’ve heard us talking about the Power of the Portfolio for a while now, and people are starting to “get it”: Customers are realizing that, together, these programs provide an expanded capability not only to validate product performance, but also to drive innovation by guiding the product designs so that they are optimal and durable.
Of course Abaqus remains at the center of the portfolio, and in 2016 you’ll see you'll see to the right or on the right hand side a large number of significant enhancements to our world- renowned Unified FEA products—Abaqus/CAE, Abaqus/ Standard, Abaqus/Explicit and Abaqus/CFD. Yet those of you who are already trying out some or all of our other available products are finding that, far beyond simple stress analysis, the SIMULIA portfolio also provides the widest, deepest, best-in-class suite of complete simulation technology for the Specialist user in the marketplace today.
We're continuing to make your access to this powerful suite of tools as easy—and as cost-effective—as possible. While the programs remain distinct, the licensing of all is now unified through SIMULIA Extended Packaging. What this means is that access to all portfolio technologies is now enabled from a single pool of SIMULIA extended tokens. So with Extended Packaging, you can enjoy all the solution capabilities of each program with a single purchase.
How does this work once you’re on Extended Packaging? Since you now have access to all four technologies at once from a single token pool, you can easily expand the types of simulations you are performing and the value of your work. In addition to performance validation using Abaqus, you can predict the lifecycle of the product with fe-safe, and then improve it. You can reduce the weight using Tosca and explore the parametric design space using Isight. In short, you can go from solve to innovate and place your simulation work at the heart of product development, all from the foundation of easy-to-employ Extended Packaging.
So here’s a look at some of what’s new in the 2016 release:
Abaqus 2016 offers powerful, complete solutions for both routine and sophisticated engineering problems covering a vast spectrum of industrial applications that include contact, loading, dynamic vibration, multibody systems, impact/ crash, nonlinear static, thermal coupling, acoustic-structural coupling, CFD, and more.
- Contact: New vertex-to-surface supplementary formulation improves contact behavior at convex corners
- Contact: Improved heuristics for automatically transitioning between different contact formulations can significantly improve convergence behavior in Abaqus/Standard
- Contact: New Abaqus Standard family of output variables, including CDISP, CTANDIR, CSTATUS and slip rate variables
- Contact: Geometric correction technique has been extended to more general surface shapes providing both accuracy and robustness benefits (3DEXPERIENCE® applications only)
- Elements: New element types including pyramid, coupled- physics, and pipe elements including 1D fluid flow
- Materials: Rate dependent nonlinear kinematic hardening plasticity
- Linear dynamics: GPU Acceleration of AMS
- CEL: Tracer particles follow the material motion in CEL simulations and allow extraction of material point results
- SPH: Virtual particles improve accuracy of wall conditions
- SPH: Generating SPH particles based on uniform background grid improves accuracy of certain results
- DEM: Particle generation can now be based on evolving inlet surfaces with user-specified size distribution, mass flow rate, or inlet velocity
- Modeling: Connectors, connector sections, and contact interactions are now copied from instanced models
- Modeling: Generate cohesive elements through Mesh Edit tool
- Improved usability: Copy text from prompt area to clipboard, copy content from GUI widgets and paste the contents after closing the widget window, default font and glyph size updated to 12 point
TOSCA STRUCTURE 2016 AND TOSCA FLUID 2016
Tosca 2016 offers fast, powerful structural and flow topological optimization solutions based on FEA and CFD simulations.
Highlights in Tosca Structure 2016 include:
- Circular beams now supported in Tosca Structure.sizing
- New algorithm for casting manufacturing constraint for Tosca Structure.topology
- New sensitivity-based algorithms for Tosca Structure.shape
fe-safe is an industry leading fatigue solver for metals, composites, rubber, welds, and other materials. Powerful, comprehensive and easy-to-use suite of fatigue analysis software for finite element models integrates with Abaqus and other leading FE solvers.
Typical application areas include the analysis of machined, forged and cast components in steel, aluminum and cast iron, high temperature components, welded fabrications and press- formed parts.
Highlights in fe-safe 2016 include:
- Improved fatigue analysis algorithm to comply with FKM Guidelines re ‘Analytical Strength Assessment of Components’
- Improved ANSYS Workbench extension
- New Manson-McKnight Octahedral fatigue algorithm, a compliance algorithm that may be required by national regulatory bodies (e.g. in the aviation sector)
Isight/SEE provides industry-leading simulation process automation and parametric design optimization solutions for reducing analysis time and costs and improving product performance, quality and reliability.
Highlights in Isight/SEE 2016 include:
- Apache TomEE-Oracle middleware combination is now supported
- Component upgrades for both Abaqus and ANSYS Workbench
For More Information
NEXT GENERATION USER ROLES FOR CREATING SUSTAINABLE INNOVATION
3DEXPERIENCE R2016x is a revolutionary platform for the simulation user and the enterprise. For the Simulation Specialist, the 3DEXPERIENCE platform provides evolutionary functionality to extend his or her current set of expert tools. Capabilities such as high-performance visualization for very large models, batch and rule-based meshing, and collaborative assembly are unique to 3DEXPERIENCE R2016x, providing additional capability, efficiency, and through-put for existing simulation users, all based on the market-leading Abaqus technology.
Customers today are demanding enterprise-wide and group-wide tools to enable extended teams to build and execute the most complex simulation models with the highest value. 3DEXPERIENCE R2016x is the first and only suite of capabilities available today to support this need, taking simulation from vertical engineering function to a horizontal business process of value throughout the enterprise. To read about what's new in SIMULIA 3DEXPERIENCE R2016x visit: www.3ds.com/products-services/simulia/products/3dexperience.