VELIZY-VILLACOUBLAY, France — August 1, 2012 — Dassault Systèmes (Euronext Paris: #13065, DSY.PA), the 3D EXPERIENCE Company, world leader in 3D design software, 3D Digital Mock Up and Product Lifecycle Management (PLM) solutions, today introduced new SolidWorks Electrical applications . These new offerings include an innovative, system level 2D schematic design tool and a powerful 3D electrical modeling add-in to SolidWorks design application that are linked in real time.
“Today, companies in industrial equipment, engineering services, high-tech, medical devices, and consumer goods are developing products that include more electrical content. More than half of our SolidWorks customers require a solution that streamlines collaboration between mechanical and electrical systems engineers,” said Bertrand Sicot, CEO, SolidWorks, Dassault Systèmes. “The addition of SolidWorks Electrical to our product portfolio moves us into this underserved market with a robust solution that upholds the SolidWorks focus on ease-of-use and makes close collaboration between mechanical and electrical design groups a reality.”
When it comes to electrical system design, organizations frequently look for ways to improve the overall delivery performance of their departments. SolidWorks Electrical applications make it easy for engineers and designers to plan electrical systems and integrate those electrical aspects into the overall 3D mechanical models. These new applications pave the way for mechanical and electrical engineering teams to collaborate during product development, streamline the design phase, and reduce product delays, resulting in more consistent and standardized designs, lower costs, and faster time-to-market.
“The full integration with SolidWorks will make SolidWorks Electrical easy to learn and will allow both our mechanical and electrical departments to collaborate on electrical system and wiring design,” said Kyle Strong, project manager at Getman Corporation. “Our mining vehicles include complex electrical wiring and need to have consistent design -- the decision to consider SolidWorks Electrical was easy. By integrating our electrical and mechanical design processes, we can better document electrical requirements and cable/wire paths, resulting in less rework, higher product quality, and faster time-to-market.”
SolidWorks Electrical provides new capabilities with the following three applications:
1. SolidWorks Electrical – a 2D schematic design tool for electrical system architecture and planning that:
• Simplifies electrical design with a dynamic, context-sensitive user interface, providing the ability to quickly turn concepts into detailed designs
• Identifies problems immediately with real-time error detection which prevents costly scrap and rework
• Allows for easier and more accurate creation of schematics with a library of more than 500,000 standard electrical parts
• Enables multiple people to work on the same project at the same time
2. SolidWorks Electrical 3D -- an add-in to SolidWorks CAD application that connects SolidWorks Electrical 2D systems-level schematics to 3D models designed with SolidWorks. It includes:
• Real-time, bi-directional updates between 2D and 3D to synchronize electro-mechanical designs so that consistency is maintained throughout development
• The integration of the 2D schematic with the 3D model to help standardize designs and unify BOMs to reduce mistakes and delays
• Placement of the electrical system and cables/wires in the 3D model to enable planning of specific locations and paths for consistent product manufacturing
3. SolidWorks Electrical Professional – includes the functionality of both SolidWorks Electrical and SolidWorks Electrical 3D in a single application for users working in both 2D and 3D areas of electrical development.
The SolidWorks Electrical applications are based on technology from Trace Software, a company with more than 20 years of experience in the electrical design market. As a current SolidWorks Gold Solution Partner, Trace’s elecworks™ products are integrated with SolidWorks, allowing engineers to stay within the familiar SolidWorks environment to optimize electromechanical designs.
The first release of SolidWorks Electrical will be available in North America, Europe, and the Middle East in August 2012, with other regions and countries to follow. For more information about SolidWorks Electrical, please visit: http://www.solidworks.com/electrical/
Dassault Systèmes, the 3DEXPERIENCE Company, is a catalyst for human progress. We provide business and people with collaborative virtual environments to imagine sustainable innovations. By creating 'virtual twin experiences’ of the real world with our 3DEXPERIENCE platform and applications, our customers push the boundaries of innovation, learning and production.
Dassault Systèmes’ 20,000 employees are bringing value to more than 290,000 customers of all sizes, in all industries, in more than 140 countries. For more information, visit https://www.3ds.com