IBM and Dassault Systèmes Announce Version 5 Release 11 of their Product Lifecycle Management Portfolio
“Built-in Reality” - V5R11 PLM portfolio delivers unmatched product realism and leading-edge solutions for real-world industry needs
Paris, France - April 29, 2003 - IBM and Dassault Systèmes (Nasdaq: DASTY; Euronext Paris: #13065, DSY.PA) today announced the release of Version 5 Release 11 (V5R11) of their product lifecycle management (PLM) portfolio, comprised of CATIA® for collaborative product development, and ENOVIA™ and SMARTEAM® for lifecycle management, collaboration and decision support. Concurrently, Dassault Systèmes announced V5R11 of DELMIA™ for the engineering of lean manufacturing processes.
Built-in Reality is the core concept of V5R11. It characterizes the exceptional level of realism now attainable in product and process simulation. It also reflects the high value that V5R11 delivers resulting from IBM and Dassault Systèmes’ extensive experience working with industry-leading companies to create realistic, effective PLM solutions.
V5R11 PLM solutions bring companies one step closer to e-business on demand by enabling them to become more responsive, focused, resilient, and variable in ever-changing markets. The new features of the V5R11 PLM portfolio provide value to customers in the following areas:
- Improved ability to anticipate product behavior and manufacturing operations. V5R11 simulates products realistically so that customers can anticipate in detail the behavior of future products and factory manufacturing operations. This reduces the risk of product failure, production inefficiency, market mismatches, and after-delivery compliance cost (products that cost more to make than they can be sold for).
- Greater power to build the look and feel of a product. V5R11 offers new innovative tools to better capture the esthetic, visual design that designers intend for a product. It also provides the user more high-productivity tools to control and engineer product shape and deliver styled products that can be manufactured easily.
Secure Circulation of Intellectual Property
- A framework for safe sharing of IP. V5R11 delivers enhanced security and authentication mechanisms for collaboration and collective decision-making processes. Information representing high-value IP, such as knowledge rules or CAE analysis data, is managed in a controlled environment where intelligence is applied at every level. Access from outside engineering is enhanced with ENOVIA's use of WebSphere Portal.
PLM Accessibility for All
- Strengthened entry PLM across all industries. V5R11 becomes even more accessible to small and medium-sized businesses (SMB) and gives them a significant competitive edge. Now SMBs in all industries, including Fabrication and Assembly, Electronics, and Consumer Goods, benefit from complete PLM solutions.
Turning Experience into Value
- PLM deployment know-how leveraged into competitive lead for core processes. V5R11 increases the benefits of IBM and Dassault Systemes’ extensive experience in deploying PLM solutions for industry-leading companies. V5R11 contains specialized, high-value features for the major core processes of the Automotive, Aerospace and Electronics industries.
“Ensuring customer product success is the ultimate goal of V5R11,” said Bernard Charlès, president and CEO of Dassault Systèmes. “With a focus on increased reality – whether putting more realism in virtual product simulation, leveraging our extensive experience, or responding to real industry needs – V5R11 helps our customers produce successful products. The more they can anticipate a product’s behavior, the more they can avoid problems and reduce risks. In today’s competitive marketplace, getting it right the first time for a rapid return on investment is critical.”
"Innovation and cooperation are two cornerstones of our development strategy," said Anders Romare, Director PLM Solution Center, Volvo IT, a leading PLM service provider to the automotive and discrete manufacturing industry. "The V5 PLM Platform helps us achieve these objectives by making it easier to realistically simulate components and anticipate their operation. This combined with improved reuse of corporate knowledge rules means that we can better leverage our know how with suppliers and partners and boosts collaboration across the extended enterprise. All of this translates into lower development costs, shorter development cycles, and more interesting, innovative products."
CATIA for collaborative product development - offers a range of new products and enhanced features for mastering product success in the Automotive, Aerospace, Fabrication & Assembly, Shipbuilding, Consumer Goods, and Electrical & Electronics industries, as well as enhanced entry PLM products for small and medium-sized companies.
for lifecycle management and decision support - transforms the customer’s product development organization into a source of competitive advantage with increased support for complex product design and a practical Web environment to bring marketing, sales and customers earlier into the product development cycle – where 80% of product costs are committed.
SMARTEAM for lifecycle and product data management - enhances and accelerates the proliferation of product knowledge and business processes across the enterprise and product value chain with tighter CAD integrations, expanded collaborative design, improved web collaboration, new methodologies, and improved data capture, mining, and reuse capabilities. SMARTEAM also features IBM Websphere Express, a flexible, low cost solution for enterprise integration of disparate application environments.
for the engineering of lean manufacturing processes – includes enhanced end-to-end coverage for the Automotive industry, better integration of product design and assembly processes, Knowledge-based tools for creating process plans, and a DELMIA-CENIT solution for 3D laser cutting.