BIOVIA Scientific Software Developer Intern – 6 months
Imagine new horizons…
Dassault Systèmes, the 3DEXPERIENCE company, provides business and people with virtual universes to imagine sustainable innovations.
The industry-leading BIOVIA portfolio integrates the diversity of science, experimental processes and information requirements, end-to-end, across research, development, QA/QC and manufacturing. Capabilities include Scientific Informatics, Molecular Modeling/Simulation, Data Science, Laboratory Informatics, Formulation Design, BioPharma Quality & Compliance and Manufacturing Analytics.
BIOVIA is committed to enhancing and speeding innovation, increasing productivity, improving quality and compliance, reducing costs and accelerating product development for customers in multiple industries. Shape your career with 3DS! Visit our website - www.3DS.com.
SIMULIA, the Dassault Systèmes brand for Realistic Simulation, is the world's leading supplier of advanced multi-physics simulation software.
Dassault Systèmes UK Ltd is looking for a highly motivated intern to join BIOVIA scientific software development team in Cambridge. Cambridge office offers a stimulating environment with rich social life and opportunities for meeting people of diverse professional and cultural backgrounds.
What will your role be?
- You will be part of the BIOVIA Materials Science R&D team, closely interacting with scientists, software engineers, marketing and product management representatives. Cambridge team comprises a number of PhD scientists as well as experienced software engineers. The project will introduce you to our main modeling tools such as Materials Studio and Materials Studio Collection for Pipeline Pilot. It will be necessary also to become proficient in the use of SIMULIA Abaqus, finite elements simulation environment, in order to build a multiscale workflow. You will work with SIMULIA developers in the US using remote communication tools. Additional scientific input can be provided via academic contacts that BIOVIA has with the leading universities in the UK.
- You will connect metal alloy microstructures simulated with BIOVIA Materials Studio tools to the SIMULIA Abaqus software for macroscopic simulations.
- You will connect the phase transformation diagrams and fitted model coefficients, simulated by empirical kinetic models, to Abaqus for simulation of additive manufacturing processes.
- You will generate a library of validation examples that can be used in Dassault Systèmes marketing activities, with an emphasis on realistic multi component materials for additive manufacturing in aerospace and automotive industries.
The challenge ahead
- Identify opportunities for connecting atomistic simulations of phase transformations and microstructures of metal alloys to macroscale modeling.
- Working closely with the R&D team to implement a multiscale solution for roles such as additive manufacturing materials designer, to combine BIOVIA and SIMULIA capabilities.
- Implement automated data transfer between simulations on different length and time scales.
- Working with specialists from both brands to generate sufficient demonstration material for typical industrially relevant alloys.
Your key success factors:
- Preferably Masters or PhD degree in Materials Science, Physics, Engineering or Chemistry of Materials
- Good understanding of thermodynamics of materials
- Experience of modeling and simulation in the context of materials science is beneficial
- Working knowledge of scripting languages (Python, Perl, or similar) is a benefit
- Working knowledge of high level programming languages (Fortran, C++, or similar) is useful
- Attention to detail, good understanding of software quality requirements
- Strong communication and presentation skills
- Demonstrate a curious, autonomous approach
- Highly organized with critical attention to detail
- Ability to work both independently and within a collaborative team structure
- Positive, self-motivated individual with high level of interest and passion, a willingness to learn
As a game-changer in sustainable technology and innovation, Dassault Systèmes is striving to build more inclusive and diverse teams across the globe. We believe that our people are our number one asset and we want all employees to feel empowered to bring their whole selves to work every day. It is our goal that our people feel a sense of pride and a passion for belonging. As a company leading change, it’s our responsibility to foster opportunities for all people to participate in a harmonised Workforce of the Future.