Technical advancements have enabled wind energy to become one of the world’s fastest-growing sources for clean energy. Despite these achievements, significant development challenges need to be overcome to make wind turbines more powerful, efficient and reliable for operating in a variety of conditions, ranging from onshore to deepwater installations. The use of advanced composites technology has allowed the development of large wind turbine blades with much greater reliability than previously possible, but the industry still continues to experience blade failures that can be very expensive and damaging. The use of larger blades also places increasing demands on other wind turbine components or subsystems such as the drive train, the tower and the foundation, making it even more critical for not only designing these components suitably but also for increased collaboration between various design groups within a company and between suppliers.
SIMULIA offers a comprehensive suite of products for performing engineering simulation and optimization, and enables collaborative solutions to help wind energy companies address the above-mentioned challenges in a cost-effective manner. Abaqus Unified FEA can be used for designing and analyzing components and sub-assemblies ranging from composite wind turbine blades to drive trains, bearings, towers and on- and offshore foundations. SIMULIA’s Isight product allows optimization of not only individual components such as composite blades but also allows optimization of subsystems and complete wind turbine systems. The SLM product from SIMULIA enables collaboration across different groups and companies.
- State-of-the-art capabilities for composites modeling and analysis, including ply-based pre- and post-processing; advanced material models for damage; and fracture and failure simulations using cohesive elements and VCCT
- Bi-directional associativity with CATIA PLM products for model (geometry, materials etc.) definitions as well as ply-level associativity with CATIA Composites Design (CPD)
- Seamless integration of design, analysis and manufacturability of composites structures
- Industry-leading contact capabilities, including automatic contact detection and general contact, for analysis of bearings and gears
- Material models for soil and concrete to accurately capture foundation behavior, including effects of soil-structure interaction and wave loads
- Powerful nonlinear flexible multibody simulation for accurate assessments of various wind turbine subsystems and complete systems
- State-of-the art capabilities for automating the exploration of design alternatives and identification of optimal performance parameters for various wind turbine components, subsystems and complete systems
- Simulation Lifecycle Management solutions to accelerate collaborative decision making