Many office machines are required to handle paper (and other media) quickly and efficiently; examples include copiers, printers, faxes, etc. Image quality and speed – number of pages per minute – are the benchmarks by which these machines are measured and compared by consumers. In order to produce high quality images as quickly as possible, design engineers must optimize the paper handling mechanisms and these mechanisms must work with different types of media. They must also be designed to deal with mis-feeds, i.e. skew or curled paper, without jamming.
The Abaqus Unified FEA product suite from SIMULIA allows engineers involved in paper handling applications to simulate the entire paper flow process, predicting the stubbing points early on, thus allowing for optimization of the guide path, the roll positioning, and the sequencing as the paper moves through the machine. Variations such as roll material, nip forces, speeds, and torque can all be investigated, giving a complete view of the design space, allowing optimum design production. Further, it is also possible to look at the affects of different grades of paper, different types of substrates such as photo film papers, OHP sheets and vinyl media, as well as mis-feed conditions.
- Unified modeling and simulation environment based on Abaqus/CAE
- Tools available to simply and efficiently build complex assemblies from CAD data
- Associative import from various CAD packages allow geometry design changes to be efficiently transferred to the analysis model
- Unique combination of multibody, kinematic, and dynamic structural response
- Compatible implicit and explicit dynamic solvers for optimum solutions
- Mechanism style connections allow model simplification
- Process automation available to capture expert-generated workflows for deployment to non-FEA-expert users