This 1-day course provides a focused discussion on simulating the number of cycles till fatigue failures at welds in welded structures. The methods are based on predicting a crack through a certain thickness, in welded structures at the welds (toe, root, throat, etc failure mechanisms in welds can be included). Both classification methods (such as BS5400 and BS7608) and structural stress methods (such as the Verity® module in fe-safe) will be covered.
- Modelling for line welds and spot welds
- Set up FEA models for weld fatigue and import results into fe-safe
- Use BS5400 Weld Finite Life algorithm in fe-safe
- Define weld lines for structural stress calculations
- Use the Verity module in fe-safe based on structural stress calculations
- Select a material for fatigue analysis using structural stress methods
- Run weld methods and/or base metal fatigue simultaneously
- Post-process weld fatigue in fe-safe and using a viewer
Not included is temperature dependent weld fatigue, or weld processes such as friction stir welding or similar. Non-structural joining such as solder is not covered, nor is nonmetallic joining such as adhesive bonding. Although the result of modelling FEA meshes in solid or shell models is covered, the means to model this in a pre-processor is not covered in detail.
The course is divided into lectures and workshops. The course's workshops are integral to the training. They are designed to reinforce concepts presented during the lectures. They are intended to provide users with the experience of running and trouble-shooting actual fe-safe analyses for welded applications using results from FEA analysis in Abaqus, ANSYS or Nastran.
Who Should Attend
This course is recommended for engineers with experience using an FEA solver and the prerequisite is Introduction to fe-safe. No introductory operation of the fe-safe GUI is covered. Only a basic introduction to welding as a process in manufacturing is given.
The overview provides details of the topics covered in each lecture. Please note that the actual course agenda may vary depending on location.
Schedule and Registration
Education Partner Training
Click here for a listing of partner-led training classes.
Click here for a complete listing of Fe-safe classes on the Companion Learning Space platform.