Nuclear power plants offer the possibility of producing energy with a low carbon footprint, but they are also faced with numerous engineering challenges at each stage of a plant’s lifecycle, including design, construction, operation, safe decommissioning and spent-fuel storage. Significant technical advances made over the past several years have allowed nuclear energy to once again become a key option to meet the world’s need for clean energy. Despite these technical achievements, considerable challenges remain to increase nuclear energy plant safety, efficiency and reliability, and to develop acceptable solutions for managing spent nuclear fuel.
SIMULIA solutions are playing a key role in helping the industry address these critical challenges. Abaqus Unified FEA helps improve nuclear power plants at each stage of their lifecycle—design, construction, operation and decommissioning. Abaqus provides accurate solutions and sophisticated capabilities, such as fracture and failure analysis, a wide range of material models for plasticity and creep, and static/dynamic analysis of metal and concrete structures that meet the demanding quality standards for nuclear plant design, construction and maintenance. It is used for various aspects of a nuclear power plant, including evaluation of reactors, piping, and turbines; safety assessments of accident scenarios, earthquakes (seismic assessments), or impact events; evaluation of storage options for spent nuclear fuel; and for safe decommissioning.
SIMULIA’s Isight product helps automate the exploration of design alternatives and for identification of optimal performance parameters. SIMULIA SLM simplifies the capture, re-use and deployment of approved simulation methods and best practices, providing improved confidence in the use of simulation results for rapid decision making. Combined, these solutions provide the best-in-class simulation capabilities to help the nuclear energy industry deliver on the potential of safe, clean and cost-effective energy.
- Nuclear Energy Industry accepted Quality Assurance and Quality Monitoring Services (QMS)
- State-of-the-art capabilities for modeling fracture and failure, including XFEM-based solutions
- Linear and nonlinear static and dynamic analyses, including explicit dynamics for impact or other short duration events and linear dynamics for seismic assessments
- Multiphysics capabilities such as coupled thermal-mechanical, fluid-structure interaction, coupled thermal-mechanical-pore fluid diffusion etc.
- Industry-leading contact capabilities, including automatic contact detection and general contact
- Extensive collection of material models for metals (including plasticity, creep, and other effects), soil, concrete etc.
- Bi-directional associativity with CATIA V5, SolidWorks, and Pro/ENGINEER and geometry translation from other CAD systems
- Integrated simulation capabilities within the CATIA V5 environment using Abaqus technology
- State-of-the art capabilities for automating the exploration of design alternatives and identification of optimal performance parameters for various nuclear power plant components and systems
- Simulation Lifecycle Management solutions to accelerate collaborative decision making
- Fatigue modeling capabilities using fe-safe