Imagine New Horizons
Be at the forefront of innovation! Serving customers of all sizes, in all industries from high-tech, life sciences, construction and transportation, we help businesses and people around the world create products and services in a novel, sustainable way.
Do you have dreams? Do you enjoy a challenge? Here at Dassault Systèmes, we empower people with passion to change the world.
Shape your career with 3DS! #WeAre3DS
What your role will be?
You will support the CFD Define, Develop and Demonstrate CFD team in evaluating existing and developing new multi-phase flow based workflows for multiple industries including, but not limited to, Transportation & Mobility, Aerospace & Defense or Energy & Materials industries.
You will perform both canonical validation of existing solvers and emerging technologies but also set up and execute industrially relevant workflows including geometry preparation, meshing, simulation, and evaluating results.
You will be exposed to both Navier-Stokes and Lattice-Boltzmann based CFD approaches. Opportunities to develop and demonstrate classical and emerging optimization techniques (Machine Learning and AI) may also be available. The position will include development and documentation of best practices.
The Challenges ahead
Computational Fluid Dynamics continues to evolve to meet user needs including, but not limited to reduced turn-around time for geometry preparation and meshing while maintaining precision and quality; faster and more accurate simulation results that can be utilized in every aspect of design process for product development; more efficient and effective ways of exploring results; automating workflows for single point and multi-disciplinary optimization; efficient integration into multi-physics and multi-scale workflows.
Your Key Success Factors
- CAD skills (Solidworks or CATIA);
- Understanding of CFD meshing techniques and experience in generating CFD meshes
- Strong understanding of incompressible and compressible flow flow physics and algorithms
- Strong understanding of turbulence flow physics and models
- Demonstrated ability in developing and/or applying either RANS or scale resolved CFD (i.e LES Hybrid RANS-LES) to fundamental or industrially relevant applications
- Demonstrated ability to set up and execute advanced CFD simulations and evaluate outcome of the simulation
- Creativity on how to improve the simulation for performance or accuracy while maintaining robustness and consistency
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to work collaboratively and effectively in a team
Experience in both Modeling and CFD Simulations. Strong understanding of fluid physics is essential. Demonstrated understanding of CFD algorithms and physics modeling is required. Experience in generating and understand the quality of meshes used for analysis. Knowledge of optimization techniques is preferred, but not necessary. Demonstrated track-record of validating CFD results. Experience in CAD modeling either in Solidworks or CATIA a plus. The position requires the ability to execute self-directed work once the scope is defined. Outstanding written and verbal communication skills are required.
Be in the know:
- PhD student in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering
- Actively enrolled in a program at a college or university for the duration of the internship
- Minimum cumulative GPA 3.0
- Ability to shift directions quickly when priorities change
- Excellent communication skills in English, both verbally and in writing
- Ability to work onsite for the duration of the internship
In order to provide equal employment and advancement opportunities to all individuals, employment decisions at 3DS are based on merit, qualifications and abilities. 3DS is committed to a policy of non-discrimination and equal opportunity for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth or medical or common conditions related to pregnancy or childbirth), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, familial status, national origin, ancestry, age (40 and above), disability, veteran status, military service, application for military service, genetic information, receipt of free medical care, or any other characteristic protected under applicable law. 3DS will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.
Our Company requires all U.S. employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and to provide documentation of full vaccination, unless qualified for a medical, religious or state-required accommodation or otherwise exempt consistent with applicable law. Although accommodation requests will be considered (and granted where appropriate/possible), it may be determined that a candidate is unable to adequately perform the essential functions of the position without imposing an undue hardship due to customer requirements, staffing needs, or other business reasons. Definition of full-vaccination: Employees are considered to be fully vaccinated two weeks after their second dose in a 2-dose series or two weeks after a single-dose vaccine.