Collier Research Corporation is one of the world's leading engineering software providers to the aerospace industry and NASA, providing structural tools, methods research, and software solutions with its flagship product, HyperSizer®. As a trusted industry leader, HyperSizer provides aerospace stress analysis and sizing optimization, reducing the weight of aircraft and space vehicles, whether designed with composites or traditional metallic materials. HyperSizer analyzes or "sizes" a structural panels' dimensions and layups, reducing structural weight, establishing margins of safety for all load cases and all potential failure modes, and creates the stress report for aircraft airworthiness certification. HyperSizer is developed by engineers, for engineers, and is currently being used by NASA on the Crew Exploration Vehicle, the Ares 1 and Ares V launch vehicles, and by aerospace industry leaders such as Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Bombardier, and Gulfstream for commercial aircraft design.
Solutions for Abaqus
Collier Research Corporation's flagship product HyperSizer® Structural Analysis and Optimization Software has released an interface between HyperSizer and Abaqus that allows engineers to streamline the process of composites design optimization. The optimized design is reached through rapid iterations between HyperSizer and Abaqus. Abaqus determines the load path/direction and how much load is in components such as a stiffened panel or ringframes. HyperSizer then analyzes or "sizes" the panels' cross-sectional dimensions and layups to the Abaqus computed load, reducing structural weight, establishing margins of safety for all load cases and all potential failure modes, and creating the stress report for aircraft airworthiness certification. HyperSizer software verifies structural integrity with the required calculations to predict all potential failure modes for all load cases and identify negative margins of safety. HyperSizer optimizes, or "sizes," a design by surveying millions of candidate dimensions and laminates, finding optimum variables down to the ply level in a matter of minutes. Abaqus analysis technology is used to perform implicit and explicit finite element analysis, including static, dynamic, impact, and thermal analyses, all powered with robust contact and nonlinear material options. Optimization using Abaqus and HyperSizer follows an iterative process that begins with the transfer of data from Abaqus' initial model to HyperSizer and continues until a convergence of internal load paths is reached, yielding a fully optimized structure.
- Engineering.com - NASA's Composite Stress & Size Optimization Software at CAMX
- Windpower Engineering - HyperSizer takes 23% weight off NASA heat shield. What could it do for a turbine blade?
- Product Design & Development - From Liftoff to Splashdown, HyperSizer Goes Deep Inside the Orion Crew Module Heat Shield
- Aerospace Manufacturing and Design - Software helps take weight off NASA's Orion crew vehicle
- Desktop Engineering - Lightweight Champions
- NetComposites - Collier Research to Present Details of HyperSizer's Analysis and Optimisation Project for Space Agency at CAMX
- High Performance Composites - Software Update: Simulation saves
- NASA Tech Briefs - NASA Uses Analysis Software to Assess Orion Crew Module Heat Shield
- High Performance Composites - CAMX 2014 preview: Collier Research
- NASA NESC - The NESC Proposes an Alternate Orion Heat Shield Carrier Structural Design
- SAMPE Journal January/February 2014 - Analysis Implementation, Verification, Validation and Performance of a Structurally-Integrated TPS Concept