Isight & the SIMULIA Execution Engine
Process automation and design exploration.
New Release Available
Isight / SEE 5.7
As part of SIMULIA's commitment to deliver industry-leading process automation and design optimization solutions, Isight and SEE 5.7 provide a number of powerful enhancements for optimization, modeling and simulation integration, and postprocessing. These improvements enable customers—in a range of industries including aerospace, automotive, consumer packaged goods, energy, high tech, and life sciences—to quickly and efficiently improve their products by optimizing them against performance or cost variables through statistical methods such as Design of Experiments (DOE) or Design for Six Sigma.
Key Features of Isight 5.7
- Isight Token-based Licensing withFlexNet
- Isight components and techniques are licensed using tokens forexecution of the sim-flow. Token licensing provides access to a wider range of Isight components than the previous concurrent license model.
- The Design Gateway and the Runtime Gateway UI continue to use concurrent licenses. Customers licensing Abaqus Extended packages get access to both Abaqus and Isight. (Note: Isight and Abaqus are now supported on the same license server.)
- Basic Isight Distributed Execution Engine
- The Isight distributed execution engine is an in-the-box Distributed Resource Manager that leverages Fiper technology to distribute the sim-flow computations over designated hardware stations. Up to twenty stations can be attached to reduce the job time by an order of magnitude. This functionality is optionally installed on the same hardware as Isight.
- Automatic Database Clean-up
- New ability to set automatic expiration dates for jobs in the database and perform manual cleanup of jobs on a specified job date.
- Warning for 'unbound' File Parameters
- Models often contain input file parameters which refer to files on disk. If the file is moved, or otherwise unavailable, the user of the design gateway is immediately notified.
- Abaqus Component Enhancements
- Support for Abaqus/CAE CATIA V5 associative interface, which allows control of CATIA V5 parameters directly in the Abaqus component.
- Support for tensor component min/max values without the need for scripting.
- Support for ‘engineering’ min/max for field outputs. User can specify to ignore a small percentage of outliers that may be caused by the way the FEA model is set up. For instance, when constraining the maximum von Mises stress, the top 1% of stress values in the results can be omitted, resulting in less noisy DOE and optimization studies.
- SIMULIA R & D Developed V5 Component
- Allows CATIA V5 applications to be integrated in sim-flows as part of every Isight distribution and SEE execution.
- Supports CATIA V5 R18 through V5 R22 on 32- and 64-bit platforms.
- Allows different instances of the component in a single sim-flow to use different CATIA environments.
- Other Updated and Enhanced Components
- Support for the following:
- New File I/O template
- Multiple versions of MSC Adams View, including 2005r2, 2008r1, 2010
- GT-POWER Suite V7.1
- LS-DYNA V971
- MSC.Patran release 2010.2.3
- Array variables, string variables, textbox and table values in Mathcad
- Add-on Applications are Automatically Part of the Library
- All add-on applications are part of all Isight distributions and do not have to be ordered separately. (Note: Add-on components now check out tokens instead of dedicated licenses.)
- Usability Enhancements
- Preserve state of tabs in Design Gateway (hidden/shown).
- New option for drag-and-drop default action instead of prompting.
- Replace data exchange wizard with a simple dialog to select a file.
- Improved layout with snap-to-grid for graphs.
- Added filters in the library user interface for SIMULIA plug-ins and system extensions.
- Pack-and-Go Utility
- Collects copies of all disk files in a sim-flow in one central location and generates a version of the model that refers these copies to that central location. ’Packing up’ these models and files into a single file will reduce user error and effort when trying to share sim-flows.
- Suppress Validation Messages
- A new user option has been added to ignore validation messages. This addresses the problem that users are sometimes presented with warnings that may not be relevant (e.g., DOE warns that no factors are defined when they are in fact defined in the customization script).
- Dependent Variable Sampling by Design Matrix Filtering
- Users can now filter out user-defined constraints of DOE factors.
- Certain combinations of factors are not meaningful because they can make model generation and response calculation impossible.
- Multi-objective Optimization with Approximation Loop
- The exploration component was enhanced with a multi-objective approximation loop feature. The approximation used by the approximation loop is updated after every sub-optimization by including all Pareto solutions. The algorithm marches in the direction of a combined objective function, similar to a standard approximation loop or the Chebyshev distance, from a set of desired objective levels. This feature is extremely scalable and efficient for local Pareto front generation.
- Sobol-sampling Monte Carlo Plug-in
- A new reliability analysis, based on the Sobol sequence, generates a recursive binary partition in order to maintain uniform sampling. The convergence rate for a Sobol sequence is much higher than for a traditional Monte Carlo, which requires fewer samples for the same accuracy.
- Self-organizing Map
- Clustering of Isight datasets, using component history data, allows the user to gain insight into a combination of characteristics that usually go together, such as the combination of high-fuel efficiency, low engine displacement, and low vehicle weight.
- Chart Automation Enhancements
- Default sizes of the Runtime Gateway, graph panel, and visuals have been increased.
- The Runtime Gateway opens to the history table by default, and a new row of history plots is available at the bottom of the history tab.
- Each visual now has a unique icon that the user can easily select.
- Components can now add panels of component specific visuals, similar to the existing capability supported by DOE, Taguchi, and Optimization.
- Reporting Enhancements
- Support for additional data, such as component version, selected plots, and quality of the used approximations.
- New auditing support reports the study owner/organization specific to the login credentials.
- Support for file parameters, aggregates, and the content of aggregates.
- File Parameter-based Simulation Plots
- Applications executed by the sim-flow can create file-based charting data (e.g., scatter, area, line, or step graph) that may be necessary to judge the results of a sim-flow run (e.g., an FEA convergence plot to judge the quality of a simulation).
- Enhanced Examples
- A new tutorial folder is available with the “adaptor duct” example. This tutorial follows a suggested design process of model creation, performing DOE, creation and selection of approximations, optimization and reliability techniques. Each step is documented with engineering judgment.
Key Features of SEE 5.7
- End Single Work Item
- A new capability is available to end a single work item on the dashboard, as opposed to ending an entire job. This enhancement addresses the problem that an application run by a component on an SEE/Station can get ‘stuck’, and the only option was to end the entire job in order to free resources.