DraftSight Resource Center
Find the information you want about DraftSight and its premium support and services
in the DraftSight Resource center.
Featured DraftSight Story
“ALL ABOARD: Light Rail Depot brings “obsolete” trains back to life”
By Darren Garnick
When you need an oil filter for your Chevy or Honda, the odds are high that you can pull into any neighborhood garage and get a quick replacement part – regardless if your car was made in Detroit or Tokyo. But what happens if your commuter train suddenly breaks down and the overseas manufacturer doesn’t have distributors in your country?
We’d be talking about an extremely long delay for those commuters waiting to get to work.
Or even worse, suppose that the train manufacturer has decided to discontinue the model altogether, creating a crisis to hunt down spare parts? For many public transit systems in the United States, this logistical nightmare is not just a hypothetical scenario.
“I admire the workmanship put into those vehicles and Light Rail Depot is trying to bring the same quality, passion and creativity back into the rail industry,” Cripps says. “The future of America depends on having great public transportation for all of us.”
Light Rail Depot counts more than a dozen metropolitan transit agencies as regular customers, including the San Diego Trolley (SDMTS), Sacramento Regional Transit (RT), Utah Transit Authority (UTA), Calgary Transit (LRT) and the Charlotte Area Transportation System (CATS).
Cripps says his engineers use DraftSight, a free 2D CAD tool from Dassault Systèmes, to redesign replacement parts and also to access DWG legacy files from old blueprints of obsolete parts. Many of their CNC programs are preformed using Mastercam X5 as well.
- Engineer quenches thirst in Papua New Guinea
- Getman underground diesels bring GUTS to the coal mines
- "Casino Gaming Company finds DraftSight not much of a Gamble"
- Let There Be Light: Dassault Systèmes’ New Boston Campus Promises to Brighten Workplace Culture
- From Military Landing Gear to Low-Noise Bike Racks, Utah Engineers Search for Aerospace Solutions
- DraftSight Design Contest Flirts with Daredevil Dreams
- Robotics competitions bring out the best in students and machines
- Company designs and produces Earth-Friendly pallets with DraftSight
- World's Worst Oil Spill
- Retired Ship Engineer Pursues The Perfect Octopus
- In Michigan, Launching a Shiny New Career - Again
- Onward Bound: Machine Shop Veteran Urges Teens To Choose Careers Over Crime